Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Farewell Tour Grinds On



The last leg of my farewell tour on the notorious Amtrak Lakeshore Limited winds through the Berkshires of Massachusetts. It's already an hour and a half behind schedule on the way to Boston. WiFi? "Only in the cafe care, and you're lucky if you get it there," says the conductor.

I look out the window and see cars whiz by us as we trundle along. There goes a guy on a bike speeding by. Now a jogger.  We pass a marsh and a turtle emerges and leaves us in the dust. A snail makes us look silly.

Total travel time,  Albany to Boston? Seven and a half hours–or about the time it will take to fly to Senegal. But I arrive to my son-in-law's garlicky lamb chops. I'm pretty sure I won't have anything like that waiting for me in Senegal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment