Friday, September 25, 2015

It's Go Time


It all begins. I finally 'finished' packing my big bag and weighed it. It was 75 pounds! That's 25 over the limit. Looks like there's work to do. So I opened he bag up on mom's stoop and dug in. Jettison those blank spiral notebooks, the hard cover novel, tent. Trade the flannel sheets in this bag for the small pillow in the other. I got it pretty close to weight and zipped it back up.
I said goodbye to Mom on that back stoop. I wondered if she might get all teary-eyed, but no, that's not her style. Never has been.

"Take care of your self mommy," I said. "Don't forget to eat."
When I checked in at the airport I was still eight pounds over and thus subject to a $100 fee. So right there at the counter I opened up the big bag and did the Sophies choice thing. Got rid of the snacks first. Peanut butter crackers and granola bars. Made it. Over by .a half pound but they let it slide.  I made it to DC then Shepherdstown, where I had a boozy fun night with long - time friend Shep.
Next stop: staging in DC

No comments:

Post a Comment